Hello caonimas! It’s time for the most anticipated post of the year on Kpopalypse blog – it’s time for Kpopalypse to count down his favourite songs of 2019!
Although serial haters will always try to stigmatise Kpopalypse as “negative”, the fact is that 2019 was a great year for k-pop and I have a big-time POSITIVE attitude about sharing this list of my favourite songs with you, my lovely readers! The gradual dying down of certain annoying k-pop trends has really helped improve song quality across the board. While we’re certainly not at Golden Age levels, there’s no denying that competition for this list was very tough and many songs that I really liked don’t appear anywhere on this list or even the honourable mentions!
New readers, or readers who are easily confused, may wish to read the following dot points, which make clear this list’s scope and intentions:
- Songs are eligible if they were released between 1st January 2019 and 31st December 2019, although the cutoff does extend a little bit prior to both dates to catch songs that were released in the dying days of the previous year. This list was published on 31st December 2019 but may appear earlier for some readers due to timezones.
- Songs for OSTs are not eligible for this list, not that they’re ever much good anyway.
- Songs for festive and sporting events are not eligible. Christmas songs have their own list, and sporting songs are ignored entirely for the greater good and advancement of society.
- Chart performance, cultural relevance, award acquisition, the attractiveness of the members, what they ate for breakfast etc is not relevant for this list and are only commented on for “narrative colour”. This list is my 100% subjective opinion on music quality only and is purely reflective of my own personal taste, it does not constitute an authority of any kind.
- “K-pop” is deliberately defined a little loosely for this list – songs that aren’t strictly “pop” are eligible. Songs from Koreans trying to break into non-Korean markets are eligible. Western attempts at “being a k-pop” are also eligible.
- I write these lists for fun, good times, the joy of sharing good music with others, an easy way to collect songs that I like so I can play them later, and as a fun writing exercise because I enjoy writing. If you’re enjoying these lists for what they are (harmless subjective opinion, expressed with twisted cunty humour) then cheers to you and I appreciate your support and readership! However if you hate it, then I question why you are here at all. There are thousands of sites on the Internet that are devoted to k-pop, and they all have lists like this, so why are you sitting here reading the only one written by an asshole? The fact that Kpopalypse remains an enduringly popular site after seven years indicates that maybe people do appreciate my style of humour and the opinions expressed with direct honesty (as opposed to the sugar-coated fluff that other sites peddle so as not to offend their reader base and sponsors) more than you might think, and that maybe if I followed your dumbass advice to “fix my tone”, then that would actually be to nobody’s benefit. I write the way I want to write because I simply enjoy doing so, I’m not going to change, and you know this, so why are you really here?
- On the other hand if this post was too sunny, bright and positive for you, you may wish to consider reading my worst k-pop songs of 2019 list instead so you can feel appropriately miserable.
Without further ado, let’s get the list started!