[The Soju Movement] Interview : Who is LOVE X STEREO ? (2014.3.12)
Interview : Who is LOVE X STEREO ?
If you have been following religiously my posts, you’ve already heard about this band. In fact, in one of my previous playlists, i recommended you to listen to “Chain Stereo” by LOVE X STEREO.
It’s rare to find a band who’s so down to earth and has, at the same time, such an “alien” sound. LOVE X STEREO is an electronic rock band based in Seoul. This three-members band is starting to become the talk of the town lately and since they’re always ready to interact with their fans and annoying bloggers like me, i jumped on the occasion and asked the lovely Annie, the lead vocals, for an interview of the band.
So, without any further commentaries, here you have my short-but-i-hope-enjoyable interview of the band LOVE X STEREO.
– Can you introduce your band and its members quickly to TSM’s readers ?
Hey, we are Love X Stereo, 90s influenced, electro-alternative band based in Seoul, Korea. Annie is our vocalist/synth player, Toby is our producer/guitarist, Sol is our bassist.
– How would you describe your music style ?
Our music has deep roots in the 90s. Especially alternative rock music. We like to mix it up with electro elements, make it sound more fresh and more accessible.
– Who are your biggest musical inspirations ?
All music from the 90s. Synth pop from the 80s. Psychedelic rock from the 70s. Our heroes are bands like Nirvana, New Order, Smashing Pumpkins, and so much more…
– What was the greatest moment you had as a band ?
So far, we think the greatest moment will be our showcase in CMJ Music Marathon 2013. It clearly was a big leap for us, made us push ourselves even further, so for those reasons, we’ll never forget it.
– Some of TSM’s readers doesn’t know your music yet. If they had to listen to only one song, what would it be ? and why ?
“Soul City (Seoul City)”, hands down. We never thought that the song could be a hit, but this song definitely exceeded all our expectations. It’s very easy going, very memorable, and has a psychedelic vibe in a very crisp way.
– You’re going on tour really soon. Give us three reasons to come to one of your shows.
A. From others’ perspective, they say our live is way better than our CDs so far.
B. We’ll make you a hell of a time. FOR REAL.
C. We don’t come to the States that often. (We’d love to, but as you know, transportation isn’t cheap.)
– most of your upcoming shows are in the US. How does it feels to play outside of korea and on such big stages as SXSW ? In what way does the foreigner public differs from the korean one ?
Foreigner public seems to relate to music more directly. Like they can dance immediately if you like it. So the feedback itself is very direct and honest. We feel like our music is more beloved among foreigner audience. It’s pretty awesome to be recognized outside of our country, and really gives as an oomph for us to push ourselves even further.
– the korean rock scene has still a lot to show in order to compete with mainstream music such as korean pop and can somewhat be considered as underrated. In your opinion, which korean rock/electro/indie bands has what it takes to break that wall ?
We honestly think that none of us should competing with K-pop. K-pop has its own thing going on, and so is Korean rock music. We like bands that has originality. (Not many bands have it though.) We really like Juck Juck Grunzie and Rock ‘N Roll Radio for that matter. We also like LudiSTELO and WHOwho for being such great performers.
– what kind of advice would you give to young musicians, with no experience but with a strong will to become huge ?
Listen to a lot of music (seriously), develop your sound, and try to be original.
– A last message to The Soju Movement’s readers ?
Thanks for reading our interview. Please check out our upcoming shows in the States. Hope to meet you all in person!
LOVE X STEREO has a few upcoming shows marked in the US. Check the dates of the venues right below :
[ 2K14 SEOULSONIC TOUR DATES w/ Rock ‘N Roll Radio & Glen Check ]
March 13 @ Icehauer, Austin, TX (2K14 Seoulsonic Showcase, SXSW)
March 20 @ Brick and Mortar Hall, San Francisco
March 25 @ Pike Room at the Crofoot, Pontiac, MI
March 29 @ Webster Hall, New York, NY
March 31 @ Dorothy Betts Marvin Theater, Washington, D.C.
April 6 @ SEED Center, Los Angeles
You can also watch their trailer video :